Although I am new to the world of blogging, I absolutely see myself using a blog as a librarian. There are so many reasons why I should blog, that I am having a hard time thinking of any reasons why I should not! Immediately, I think about how this would allow me to be so much more accessible to my students. No matter where I am or what time of day, my students have access to something that is uniquely mine. It is my thoughts, ideas and suggestions for students, parents, teachers and administration on a variety of school-related topics. I could give suggestions on Web 2.0 tools to try, websites for classroom and at home use, links to important articles etc. It also acts as a platform for advocacy. By making my role as the librarian a more intricate part of the lives of my students and faculty, I am proving how indispensable I am. The blog will chronicle what we are working on in the library, new exciting features of the physical and virtual library, upcoming events and countless other aspects of library life. It is a great forum for students, parents, teacher and anyone else to provide feedback on what I am saying, doing, planning etc. Blogging also changes the stodgy image most people have of librarians. It helps us recreate our public image so that the outside world understands how crucial our role is within our education system. It gives us the opportunity to be the forward thinkers in our schools. I cannot wait to start blogging and sharing my life as a budding librarian with the rest of the world.
Your thinking is right on target! You will see when you are working as an LMS that you will have to make time to do stuff like this, but just from knowing you for one day, I am sure that you WILL! :)
ReplyDelete