Monday, July 18, 2011

Lisa Parisi and Universal Design for Learning

Today was another jammed pack day!I cannot believe how much I have learned in such a short period of time. I cannot discuss all of it without writing a ridiculously long post. The two parts of the day that stand out the most for me were my introduction to Glogster and our Skype with Lisa Parisi. Glogster is amazing! I can see myself creating these "posters" constantly. I know that my students will absolutely love creating them as well. It allows students who are not artistically inclined to make something that can show their creativity in a unique way. I have been playing around with Glogster all night and it is a tremendous amount of fun. It let me create something original instead of a plain boring homepage. However, the real highlight of my day was the Skype with Lisa Parisi about Universal Design of Learning. I loved her teaching philosophy. I had begun to think about my own teaching philosophy for my efolio and was inspired by Lisa's. Her philosophy is that her responsibility as an educator is to give every student the ability to access information. She went on to mention that we must think of the end product and that students must be given the opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge in any way they want. I love that! We must give students a variety of tools so that they can express their knowledge in the way that works for them. Lisa mentioned that once the students are acclimated, usually around November, she gives them a rubric of whats expected of them from a project but does not give them a specific assignment. She allows the students to explore those avenues that interest them to demonstrate their knowledge. I would love to be able to implement all Lisa's suggestions in my own library. I know that I will using the toolkits she mentioned so that I can implement UDL to the best of my ability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment